OUR 17th Health and Medical Research awards
Nominations for the Health and Medical Research Awards for 2019 are now closed.
Tickets for the ceremony on November 14 at Metropolis in Melbourne are available now so please click here to reserve your table/seats.
As the national peak body for health and medical research, these prestigious awards are our unique celebration of the outstanding efforts and achievements of individuals and teams who drive and support the opportunities that health and medical innovation bring to each and every one of our lives.
This year the award categories are as follows:
- Peter Wills Medal
- Great Australian Philanthropy Award
- Health Services Research Award
- Data Innovation Award
- Griffith University Discovery Award
- Advocacy Award
- Frontiers Research Award (NEW)
2019 Health and Medical Research Award Finalists
Thank you to everyone who nominated such worthy contributors for this year’s Awards. The calibre of the nominations was truly remarkable. We are delighted to announce the finalists in five of the categories. The Peter Wills Medal, The Great Australian Philanthropy Award and the GSK Award for Research Excellence only have one winner which will be announced at the Award Ceremony on November 14 at Metropolis Southbank, Melbourne.
Griffith University Discovery Award (in alphabetical order)
- Dr Berhan Ayele Haile, the Burnet Institute – Nominated By Professor David Anderson, the Burnet Institute
- Dr Alexandra Bannach Brown, Bond University – Nominated by Associate Professor Kevin Ashton, Bond University
- Dr Christine Keenan, Walter & Eliza Hall Institute – Nominated by Associate Professor Daniel Gray, Walter & Eliza Hall Institute
- Dr Lucia Romani, UNSW Sydney – Nominated by Scientia Professor John Kaldor, UNSW Sydney
Health Services Research Award (in alphabetical order)
- Prof Claire Jackson, University of Queensland – Nominated by Dr Lauren Ball, Griffith University
- Prof Glenn Marshall AM, Children’s Cancer Institute – Nominated by Conjoint Professor Michelle Haber AM, UNSW Sydney
- Prof Libby Roughead, University of South Australia – Nominated by Associate Professor Rachael Morton, Health Services Research Association of Australia & New Zealand
- Prof Karin Thursky, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre & Royal Melbourne Hospital – Nominated by Professor Mike McGuckin, University of Melbourne
Data Innovation Award (in alphabetical order)
- Associate Prof Adam Dunn, Macquarie University – Nominated by Professor Enrico Coiera, Macquarie University
- Prof John Lynch, University of Adelaide – Nominated by Professor Andrew Zannetino, University of Adelaide
- Matthew Phillips & the Lifespan Data Team, Black Dog Institute – Nominated by Assistant Prof Alison Calear, ANU
- Prof David Wilson, Burnet Institute – Nominated by Professor Brendan Crabb AC, Burnet Institute
Advocacy Award (in alphabetical order)
- Prof Gordon Lynch, University of Melbourne – Nominated by Prof Matthew Watt, University of Melbourne
- Mr Duncan McPherson OAM – Nominated by Associate Professor Philp Beale, Australia New Zealand Gynaecological Oncology Group
- Annabelle Wilson, Cure Brain Cancer Foundation – Nominated by Mr Daniel Chapman, Cure Brain Cancer Foundation.
Frontiers Research Award (in alphabetical order)
- Dr Lisa Gillinder, Mater Research Institute – Nominated by Professor Maher Gandhi, Mater Medical Research Institute
- Prof Sailesh Kumar, Mater Research Institute – Nominated by Professor Maher Ghandi, Mater Medical Research Institute
- Associate Prof Jeremy Micah Crook & team, University of Wollongong – Nominated by Professor Buzz Palmer, Monash University
Tickets for the ceremony please click here.
Sincere congratulations to all the finalists for their valuable contribution to the health and medical research sector.
Thank you also to our sponsors, UNSW Sydney, Griffith University, GSK, Bupa Health Foundation, Monash University, Ingham Institute. For enquiries about sponsorship or attendance please contact Sally Shepherd on 02 9295 8545 or email email@example.com
Last year’s celebrated highly commended and winners.
Great Australian Philanthropy Award
Winner: The Bill and Iris Burges Trust
Research Champion Award (Formerly the Advocacy Award)
Winner: Matthew Grounds – Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute/UBS
Highly Commended: Barrie Littlefield – Cure Brain Cancer Foundation
Health Services Research Award
Winner: Professor Sue Kildea – Mater Research Institute – University of Queensland
Highly Commended: Professor William Runciman – University of South Australia
Data Innovation Award
Winner: Dr Craig Dalton, Conjoint Associate Professor – University of Newcastle
Highly Commended: Professor Louisa Jorm – UNSW Sydney
Griffith University Discovery Award
Winner: Dr Sarah Best – The Walter & Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research
Highly Commended: Dr Eric Chow – Monash University
GSK Award for Excellence
Winner: Professor Georgina Long & Professor Richard Scolyer – The Melanoma Institute
The Peter Wills Medal
Winner: Laureate Professor Nicholas Talley AC – University of Newcastle